Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - elementary schools

Designers: Naramore, Floyd, Architect (firm); Seattle Public Schools, District Architect, Blair, Edgar (firm); Edgar Blair (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect)

Dates: constructed 1911, demolished 1985

2 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

4720 42nd Avenue SW
West Seattle, Seattle, WA 98116-4552

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

When it opened in 1912, the Jefferson School occupied a 1.69 acre parcel in West Seattle had a meagre 135 students in grades 1-5. Architect Edgar Blair (1871-1924) designed identical plans for the 8-room Jefferson and Ravenna Elementary Schools. Both schools were also faced with brick. The site was expanded to 3.16 acres in 1918.

The Jefferson School was replaced by a Safeway Supermarket, Elan 41 Apartments and the Jefferson Square shopping development.

Alteration

Wings were added to the school to respond to increasing student enrollment in the neighborhood twice, once in 1918 and later in 1927-1928.

Seattle architect Floyd Naramore (1879-1970), who served as Supervising Architect for the Seattle Public Schools between 1919 and 1932, made an addition to the Jefferson School in 1928.

Demolition

The Jefferson School closed as a school in 1979; it was leased out on a 99-year lease in 1982, but demolished in 1985.

PCAD id: 7283