AKA: Wallingford Center, Wallingford, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools

Designers: Stephen, James, Architect (firm); Tonkin Hoyne Lokan, Incorporated, Architects (firm); Barry Hoyne (architect); Lokan ; James Stephen (architect); Leslie V. Tonkin (architect)

Dates: constructed 1904

2 stories, total floor area: 52,078 sq. ft.

4400 Wallingford Avenue North
Wallingford, Seattle , WA 98103-7543

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
An alternative address is 1815 North 45th Street.


One of eleven wood-frame schools designed by architect, James Stephen, for the Seattle Public School District between 1902 and 1908. The district sold the Colonial Revival building and it was then renovated into the mixed-use Wallingford Center, a group of small shops and restaurants. The top floors of the center were converted to apartments.

Building History

The Interlake School remained unused for several years after it closed in the 1970s, Seeing its potential as a commercial addition to the Wallingford neighborhood, Lorig Associates, a Seattle development firm, signed a 99-year lease with the Seattle Public Schools to transform the vacant facility into a mixed commercial/residential development. The Seattle architectural firm of Tonkin Hoyne Lokin Architects supervised the transformation of the school into the commercial/residential space.

Building Notes

In 2015, the King County Assessor indicated that the Wallingford Center occupied a 75,112-square-foot, 1.72-acre lot, and contained 52,078 gross square feet, 51,342 net. On 9/25/2014, the Seattle School District #1 ceded ownership of the property to the City of Seattle's Department of Transportation (SDOT).


Many alterations occurred when the building was transformed into the Wallingford Center in 1983. Subsequent alterations occurred in 2011 and 2014. The changes in 2011 "two lignt poles at the NE corner of parking lot" and an ATM machine; alterations in that year also included a "change [of] use from retail to child care and interior alterations to expand [an] existing preschool on ground floor." (See "King County Assessor Property Record for Parcel #4083300140," accessed 04/15/2015.) In 2014, more space was converted from retail use to the first-floor child care center and tenant improvements to Unit #218.