AKA: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA; Oracle Arena, Oakland, CA

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - arenas

Designers: Atkinson, Guy F., Company, Building Contractors (firm); Herrick Corporation (firm); Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, (SOM), San Francisco, CA (firm); Guy Frederick Atkinson (building contractor); Edward Charles Bassett (architect); Myron Goldsmith (architect/engineer); John Ogden Merrill (architect); Nathaniel Alexander Owings (architect); Louis Skidmore Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1964-1966

view all images ( of 1 shown)

7000 Coliseum Way
Oakland, CA 94621-1917

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Coliseum's boundaries are as follows: Center field (NE), San Leandro Street and Southern Pacific Railroad tracks; third base (NW), 66th Avenue; home plate (SW), Nimitz Freeway (I-880); first base (SE), Hegenberger Road. Located just off Interstate 880, the Coliseum can be approached via two exits, via Hegenberger Road or 66th Avenue.

Overview

Designed by the SOM San Francisco Office, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum complex had three main components: this arena, a venue used by the NBA's Golden State Warriors until 2019, the Coliseum, an elegant design and multipurpose environment desecrated by the Oakland Raiders and an exhibit hall that linked the arena and coliseum.

Building History

Financed by a 1964 Alameda County bond measure, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and the Coliseum Arena occupied 120 acres of costly land, zoned for mixed residential and industrial uses. The facilities cost approximately $25.5 million to build between 1964-1966. The California Seals National Hockey League team played its first game in the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, 11/08/1966. Begun in 1946, the Philadelphia Warriors National Basketball team moved to San Francisco in 1962, and then to the Coliseum Arena in 1971. The arena seated 17,000 for hockey, 19,200 for basketball. An exhibit hall stands between the Coliseum and the Coliseum Arena. On 10/20/2006, the NBA franchise Golden State Warriors and the Oakland-Alameda County Authority sold the naming rights to the Arena to the Redwood Shores, CA-based Oracle Corporation; from that point on, the building was popularly referred to as the "O."

Building Notes

At the time of its construction, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena possessed one of the largest cable-supported roofs in the world.

Tel: (510) 569-2121 (2009);

The Coliseum Arena was renovated in 1997, when the interior of the previous building was gutted and a new spectator bowl constructed with 72 luxury suites added to the facility.

PCAD id: 7179