AKA: Embassy Hotel and Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - performing arts structures - concert halls

Designers: Fitzhugh, Krucker and Deckbar, Associated Architects (firm); Harry Charles Deckbar (architect); Thornton Fitzhugh Sr. (architect); Frank George Krucker (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Grand Avenue and 9th Street
Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 90017

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
The building also fronted Hope Street.

Building History

Frank Krucker called himself the "senior architect" of the three associated on this project. Design for this building began in 1911, and construction went into 1914. The cost of the structure was set at $750,000. According to a contemporary description in the Los Angeles Times (01/01/1914), the building measured 160 feet by 160 feet, whose structure was of steel and reinforced concrete, making it "absolutely fireproof." The Trinity Auditorium seated approximately 2500 spectators when new, and was the first home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Originally, the first three floors of the building were used by the Trinity Church; the fourth through the ninth floors were composed of 330 rooms for single men, each with its own bath. In the 1990s, the Trinity Auditorium Building also operated as a residence hall for the University of Southern California (USC).

An article in the first issue of the Archtitectural Digestnoted that the Architect of the Trinity Hotel and Auditorium Building was H.C. Deckbar, while Frank G. Krucker was the Assistant Architect. (See J.C. Brasfield, Architectural Digest, Southern California Edition, [Los Angeles: Young and McAllister Press, 1922], p. 34.)

It later became known as the "Embassy Auditorium."

Building Notes

The building stands 120 feet high, comprised of 9 floors.

PCAD id: 6857