Structure Type: built works - public buildings - fire stations

Designers: Saunders and Houghton, Architects (firm); Edwin Walker Houghton (architect); Charles Willard Saunders (architect)

Dates: constructed 1890, demolished 1961

2 stories

7th Avenue and Columbia Street
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
The Seattle Fire Department Headquarters #03 stood on the southeast corner of Columbia Street and 7th Avenue. Interstate 5 forced the relocation of 7th Avenue, making the former location of the Seattle Fire Department's Headquarters on what is now a north-bound lane of Interstate 5.


The Seattle Fire Department (SFD) used this Romanesque Building as its Headquarters between 1890 and 1903. In 1903, the SFD moved to Station #10 as its headquarters, and this became a facility housing various engine companies until 1937. The station accommodated other used until 1961, when it was razed to make way for the construction of Interstate 5 through Downtown Seattle.

Building History

The Seattle architectural tandem of Sanders and Houghton designed this new headquarters, built after the Great Fire of 1889. Constructed of brick, it consisted of three floors, including an arched first floor. Within the arches was the garage housing four horse-drawn fire vehicles.

In 1906, Engine Company #11 utilized this station. W.J. Carr was its station captain. (See Polk's Seattle Directory Company's Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1906, p. 104.)


The Seattle Fire Department remodeled the station during a 1913 regrade of Columbia Street. Four engine vehicle garage doors were moved from Columbia Street to 7th Avenue and decreased to two. An exposed basement floor was added to echo the new slope of Columbia Street.


The SFD Headquarters #1 was torn down to build Interstate 5 in the early 1960s.

PCAD id: 6642