Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Olmsted Brothers, Landscape Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; James Frederick Dawson (landscape architect); Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. (landscape architect); John Charles Olmsted (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1915

2 stories

645 NW 137th Street
Seattle, WA 98177-3932

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

John B. Agen was a farmer, agricultural processor and wholesale dealer of butter, cheese and eggs. In 1901, he lived in a residence on the southwest corner of Seneca Street and Boylston Street. In 1914, he sold ten of the twenty acres of land he owned in the Broadview neighborhood of Seattle, WA, to his friends Arthur and Jeanette Dunn. Together, the Agens and Dunns bargained a deal with the Olmsted Brothers landscape architecture firm to cut its commission, if both gardens were designed simultaneously. James Frederick Dawson (1874-1941), then an Associate Partner in the Olmsted office, designed these two estates. Architectural work was done on this farm by Bebb and Gould between 1915-1931. Drawings of the Agen House can be found in the University of Washington Library, Department of Special Collections, Locations: M168 086, ID #5479, M168 086, ID #5675 (1924 remodeling work), M168 086, ID# 5763 (1931 remodeling work).

Bebb and Gould did some remodeling work for Mrs. J.B. Agen in 1924 and 1931; Accroding to Booth and Wilson, Carl F. Gould: A Life in Architecture and the Arts, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1995), (p. 178), Bebb and Gould worked again at the Agen House in 1934.

PCAD id: 6599