AKA: Topsfield, Bainbridge Island, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1913-1914

1 story

2380 Upper Farms Road NE
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The house was located in the Country Club District on Bainbridge Island's southern end.

Architect Carl F. Gould, Sr., (1873-1939) designed this house before his marriage to Dorothy Fay Gould (1890-1976) on 06/22/1915; Gould created the house using a modular industrial construction method, whereby parts of the house were put together in Seattle and sent by barge to Bainbridge Island. Gould reused this method of prefabrication in other rural residential designs where trained carpenters were hard to find. The Goulds lived on Bainbridge Island full-time between 1914-1920, when they erected a residence in Seattle. (At this time, most dwellings built there were for occasional use by their well-to-do owners.) Thereafter, they used the Bainbridge residence for weekends and summer use. (See T. William Booth and William H. Wilson, Carl F. Gould: A Life in Architecture and the Arts, [Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1995], 67-71.)

As the Gould Family grew, the house was added onto c. 1915 and 1917, when Anne Gould and her older brother, Carl, Jr., were born.

PCAD id: 6115