AKA: Regent's Plan, University of Washington Campus Plan, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Bebb and Gould Plan, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings; representations - drawings - plans

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1915

1410 NE Campus Parkway
University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98195


Building Notes

The first University of Washington (UW) campus stood in Downtown Seattle, on the site of the present Fairmount Olympic Hotel. In the early 1890s, administrators of the university worked with State Representative Edmond S. Meany to find another, larger property on which to lay out the campus. This land, located in northeast Seattle had frontage on Lake Washington and was nearby to Lake Union. The UW relocated to its new quarters in 1895. Before the move, Seattle architect William E. Boone (1830-1921) prepared a preliminary plan in 1891, but this scheme, like his design for the first building on campus, did not get built for cost reasons. Two early plans, the Oval Plan of 1900, devised by UW Engineering Professor A.H. Fuller, and the Olmsted Plan of 1904, developed the basic conceptual framework that guided campus development before the Alaska Yukon-Pacific Exposition (AYPE) of 1909. The latter created the idea of building a liberal arts quadrangle to the north and a science quad set off at a 45 degree angle to the south. The Olmsted firm produced another plan for the AYPE that introduced a strong axis aligned with Mount Rainier, leading from the Liberal Arts Quad to the Science Quad.

Architect Carl F. Gould (1873-1939) synthesized ideas contained in plans by the Olmsteds for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition and one completed by them in 1914. Gould's article, "The American University and Its Library Problem,"discussed his concept that guided campus building between 1915 and World War II. (See Carl F. Gould, "The American University and Its Library Problem," Architectural Forum, XLIV: 6, June 1926, p. 361-366

This master plan was updated in 1934.

PCAD id: 6114