AKA: The Clark Library, West Adams, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - libraries

Designers: Cordes and Crosby, Architects (firm); Farquhar, Robert D., Architect (firm); Phelps, Barton and Associates (firm); Winston Albert Cordes (architect); Crosby (architect); Robert David Farquhar (architect); Barton Phelps (architect)

Dates: constructed 1924-1926

view all images ( of 1 shown)

In his will, William Clark, Jr., directed that no new buildings be built within 100 feet of his library. A small 4,206-square-foot gatehouse was also erected in 1934, but over time, most existing buildings on the property were razed, including his residence, observatory, and most of his gardens. The primary Clark Library contained 14,169 square feet in 1934, but had become too small by the 1980s. In 1990, Los Angeles architect Barton Phelps (born 1946) produced a master plan for the UCLA Center for 17th and 18th Century Studies. Known as the "North Range." This small complex occupied 3,836 square feet and cost $339,959; it contained various rooms for the UCLA Center, including a central great room/commons, visiting scholar apartments and storage space.

Los Angeles City Historical-Cultural Monument (1964-10-09): 28

PCAD id: 5707