Structure Type: built works - public buildings - hospitals

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1885

123 South Olive Street
Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 90012

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Founded in 1885, This infirmary began as a 9-bed facility at 123 South Olive Street operated by an Anglican nun, Sister Mary Wood. Within two years, the hospital had outgrown its small original space, and found new quarters at 31 Sand Street (later renamed California Street). In 10/1887, Saint Paul's Episcopal Church forged an agreement with Sister Mary to take over the hospital's financial backing. Saint Paul's sold four land parcels it owned, worth about $12,000, to provide an endowment for the hospital. With this money in hand, the Saint Paul's Hospital and Home Society moved its location to larger quarters at 31 Sand Street (later renamed California Street); its name was changed to the "Saint Paul's Hospital and Home for Invalids," at this time and remained this until 1895. (See "The New Hospital. The First Reception Day at the Quarters," Los Angeles Herald, vol. 29, no. 17, 10/19/1887, p. 3.) As of 10/19/1887, Sister Mary still ran the hospital's day-to-day operations.

A contemporary newspaper report stated: "Yesterday [10/18/1887] was reception or donation day at the hospital, it being the second day of its existence at the new location. All the patients were transferred from the former building, for which Sister Mary, who has supervision of the hospital, is very grateful to Messrs. Howry and Peck for the use of their ambulance. One of the principal reasons which necessitated a removal from the former building was a lack of room as it contained only eight rooms and much incovenience was frequently experienced on this account. Much credit is due Sister Mary for her efforts in securing the new location, which has been leased for one year, besides the fact that she assumes entire control of the home without pecuniary remuneration. Many liberal donations have been received for the purpose of erecting a suitable building, and efforts are now being made to accomplish the protect with very encouraging results." (See "The New Hospital. The First Reception Day at the Quarters," Los Angeles Herald, vol. 29, no. 17, 10/19/1887, p. 3.)

It was renamed the "Hospital of the Good Samaritan" in 03/1895 "...under decree of the Superior Court of Los Angeles county. The enterprise began with a capital of but $800, which has been expanded and added to by tireless energy on the part of those engaged in the work." (SeeLos Angeles Times, "A New Hospital," 03/16/1895, p. 8.) The hospital moved again in late 1895 to a new building designed by architect William Curlett (1846-1914) on 7th Street near Pearl Street (later renamed Figueroa Street).

PCAD id: 5444