Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - commercial buildings

Designers: Boone and Meeker, Architects (firm); William Ely Boone (architect); George Cook Meeker (architect)

Dates: constructed 1883-1885, demolished 1889

view all images ( of 1 shown)

625 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104-2274

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Originally 625 Front Street;

The building was named for the Vermont-born businessman Corliss P. Stone (1838-1906) who came to Seattle in the 1860s, served on its first city council and served as its third mayor (1872-1873). While in office, he allegedly embezzled $15,000 and fled to San Francisco on 02/23/1873. By the 1880s, his name and reputation had been restored, as this building was erected for him in 1883-1885 by the city's leading architect, William E. Boone (1830-1921). In 1890, Stone worked as the Vice-President and Treasurer of the Pacific Electric Light Company and President of the Lake Union Transportation Company. His son, Corliss L. Stone, worked in real estate. Corliss P. Stone died of cardiac arrest 09/14/1906 at the Holyoke Building in Seattle, WA, after receiving a scalp treatment. (Stone had a fine head of hair at his death.) He owned significant amounts of real estate in Downtown Seattle (including the Berkshire Hotel on 2nd Avenue), on the north shore of Lake Union and in North Seattle; he platted the Berkshire, Edgewater and C.P. Stone Home Addition sub-divisions, and the Seattle Times valued his estate at approximately $500,000. Two streets in Seattle were named for him, Corliss Avenue North and Stone Way North. (See "C.P. Stone Dies Suddenly," Seattle Times, 09/15/1906, p. 7.)

Destroyed by fire 06/06/1889;

PCAD id: 5395