AKA: Trinity Episcopal Church #3, First Hill, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: Graham, John and Company, Architects and Engineers (firm); Stickney, Murphy and Romine (SMR), Architects (firm); John Graham Sr. (architect/engineer); Ronald Murphy (architect); Michael William Romine (architect); Jerry Stickney (architect)

Dates: constructed 1902-1903

view all images ( of 2 shown)

609 8th Avenue
First Hill, Seattle, WA 98104-1921

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Trinity Parish Church #3 was built on the northwest corner of 8th Avenue and James Street.


English-born architect John Graham, Sr., designed this English Gothic church for the Trinity Parish congregation, its third home. Trinity Parish was Seattle's first Episcopalian church, founded in 1865.

Building History

English-born architect John Graham, Sr., (1873-1955), was brought in to rebuild the second church after the Great Seattle Fire of 06/06/1889 destroyed it. After the 1902 fire, John Graham, Sr., reused the existing exterior walls of Wilkenson sandstone, but increased the size of the transept, and erected a new church tower; this reconstruction occurred 1902-1903.

Building Notes

In 07/1905, the neighboring 1st Christian Church was also in operation at the corner of 8th Avenue and James Street in Seattle. (See "In the Churches Tomorrow," Seattle Times, 07/29/1905, p. 7.)


The powerful Nisqually Earthquake of 02/28/2001 inflicted considerable damage on Trinity Parish Church. The Seattle architectural firm Bassetti Architects collaborating with the Rafn Construction Company supervised a $7 million seismic repair and upgrade on the building. The building returned to service on 12/24/2005. (See Greg Lange, HistoryLink.org, "Trinity Parish, Seattle's first Episcopal parish, is estabished on August 13. 1865" published 11/04/1998 [with updates and corrections 02/16/2003, 04/17/2006, 11/09/2006 and 04/04/2017], accessed 01/18/2021.)

In 2014, SMR Architects oversaw the cleaning and restoration of the stone exterior and replacement of the church’s roof. SMR utilized reclaimed old-growth cedar shingles salvaged from a demolished building. Reuse of this roofing surface won the Historic Seattle Beth Chave Historic Preservation Award for Exemplary Stewardship in 2015. (See SMR Architects.com, “Trinity Church,” accessed 01/21/2021.)

Seattle Historic Landmark (Listed 1976-12-20): ID n/a

PCAD id: 4620