Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels
Designers: [unspecified]
Dates: constructed 1865, demolished 1883
2 stories
Overview
This utilitarian building serves as Seattle's most elaborate and comfortable hotel between 1865 and 1883. It was torn down in the latter year to make way for a larger facility.
Building History
In 03/1865, three Seattle men--Amos Brown, John S. Condon and M.R. Maddocks--opened the Occidental Hotel #1, the first hotel to occupy this triangular plot of land in Pioneer Square at the intersections of James Street, Mill Street and Front Street, the commercial heart of 19th century Seattle. (Authors disagree on the date of the Occidental Hotel #1. Clarence Bagley, in his History of Seattle from the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Volume 2, [Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1916] p. 665, indicated a date of 1865; Paul Dorpat, in his article, "Occidental Hotel: The Rise, Fall, Rise, and Fall of Pioneer Square's Historic Hotel -- A Slide Show Photo Essay," placed the the opening date in 1861. See
Building Notes
The original Occidental Hotel was a wood-framed, cross-gabled structure, two stories tall, with a double-height front porch. O.T. Frasch published a postcard of the Occidental Hotel #1 in 1911 bearing the caption: "President Hayes addresseing Seattle's entire population in [sic] 1881 where Hotel Seattle now stands." (See O.T. Frasch postcard #853, 1911; Hayes actually visited Seattle, WA, on 10/11/1880.) Its front and upper porches were oriented to take in the sweeping view of Elliott Bay to the west.
Demolished; the first Occidental Hotel was razed in 1883. The Occidental Hotel #2 took its place.
PCAD id: 4550