Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - stadiums

Designers: Polk, Willis, and Company (firm); Willis Jefferson Polk (architect)

Dates: constructed 1924-1925, demolished 1989

600 Frederick Street
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA 94117-2709

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Frederick Street and Stanyan Street on the southeast corner of Golden Gate Park; alternative address 755 Stanyan Street;

The estate of Mary Kezar donated $100,000 to establish a memorial for her relatives; a total of $300,000 was raised, with the extra amount contributed by the San Francisco Parks Commission; the first event occurred on 05/02/1925, a two-mile head-to-head race between a pair of the period's best long distance runners, two of the so-called "Flying Finns," Vilho Ritola (1896-1982) and Paavo Nurmi (1897-1973); the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League played at Kezar Stadium #1 between 09/08/1946-01/03/1970, before moving to play at Candlestick Park; at its largest, the first Kezar Stadium seated 59,942;

Demolished; demolition of the stadium occurred in 06/1989, several months before the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 10/17/1989. A second, 10,000-seat Kezar Stadium opened soon thereafter. The second Kezar Stadium was to cost $9 million and accommodate high school sporting events in the city.

PCAD id: 3893