Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - factories

Designers: Morgan and Walls, Architects (firm); Octavius Morgan (architect); John A. Walls (architect)

Dates: constructed 1883

1231 North Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012-1838

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Before being bought by the agribusiness monopoly, ConAgra, in 2000, Capitol Milling was the oldest family-owned business remaining in Los Angeles, CA, having been started at this location in 1831; as there was no commercial kiln in Los Angeles at this date, bricks were transported for the building from Philadelphia, and the original millstones were sent from France; this milling facility was to be transformed into loft apartments c. 2000;

In 1898, Morgan and Walls added a third story to the rear wing of the Capitol Milling Company Building and and added a fifth story to the main building.

PCAD id: 3475