Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bebb and Jones, Architects (firm); Foote, Donald J., Architect (firm); Jones and Bindon, Architects (firm); Miller Hull Partnership, LLP (firm); Leonard William Somerville Bindon (architect); Donald John Foote (architect); Robert E. Hull (architect); John Paul Jones (architect); David Edward Miller (architect)

Dates: constructed 2004

2 stories

3896 Walla Walla Road
University of Washington, Seattle, Campus, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map


This facility, completed in 1947, has accommodated the University of Washington's highly successful rowing program. It has been altered twice, once in 1965 with an addition, and in the early 2000s when it was largely rebuilt.

Building History

The Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Jones worked with Leonard W. Bindon on the design of the Conibear Shellhouse in 1947. This firm also designed the University of Washington (UW) Administration Building about two years later. Charles Bebb (1862-1942) had worked with Carl Gould, Sr., (1873-1939) on many of the academic buildings filling the Liberal Arts and Science Quadrangles, and his successors designed this shellhouse for use by UW's vaunted rowing team. Likely, the lead architect of the firm on this project was John Paul Jones (1892-1982), a longtime employee of Bebb and Gould, with whom Bebb partnered by 1940.

The Regents of the UW named the shellhouse for Hiram Boardman Conibear (1871-1917), the rowing coach at the UW between 1907 and 1917, on 06/28/1947.


Seattle architect Donald J. Foote designed an addition to the Conibear Shellhouse in 1965.

Miller Hull Architects, LLP, of Seattle completed a renovation of the University of Washington Conibear Shellhouse in 2004. The firm's work was given an Honor Award by the Seattle Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 05/19/2006.

PCAD id: 3343