AKA: McDonald Block #1, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - commercial buildings

Designers: Kysor and Morgan, Architects (firm); Ezra Franklin Kysor (architect); Octavius Morgan (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

3 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

Downtown, Los Angeles, CA


Overview

The McDonald Block stood across from the Temple Block on Main Street, comprising a pair of important commercial buildings in Downtown Los Angeles's central business district of 1880.

Building Notes

The real estate title firm of Judson, Gillette and Gibson occupied an office in the McDonald Block in 1878. A. H. Judson, attorney at law, also used. this space. (See Los Angeles, California, City Directory, 1878, [Los Angeles: Mirror Printing, Ruling and Binding House], p.62.)

Two years later, the Grange Store, the Park Millinery Goods Store and the A. McKenzie Wines and Liquor Store occupied first floor storefronts. At this time, Judson, Gillette and Gibson Examiners of Titles and Kysor and Hennessey, Architects, occupied second-floor offices. Kysor and Hennessey designed the building.

In 1882, the New Masonic Hall was located in the McDonald Block. The building appears to have been built c. 1876.

PCAD id: 321