AKA: Malibu Tile House, Malibu, CA; Adamson House at Malibu Lagoon State Park, Malibu, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Morgan, Walls and Clements, Architects (firm); Stiles Oliver Clements (architect); Octavius Weller Morgan Sr. (architect); John A. Walls (architect)

Dates: constructed 1928-1929

2 stories

23200 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 90265-4937

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Malibu Lagoon Museum 23200 Pacific Coast Highway P. O. Box 291 Malibu, California (310)456-8432

Rhonda Rindge Adamson was heir to the property of Frederick Hastings (1857—1905) and Rhoda May Knight Rindge (1864—1941), who owned the 13,316-acre Rancho Topanga Malibu Sequit (aka "Malibu Ranch"), a Spanish land grant estate originally owned by Tapia Family. In 1915, she married Merrit Huntley Adamson, (11/02/1888-01/07/1949) a lawyer and dairyman, who operated the Adohr Farms Dairy, once the world's largest, at Rancho Malibu. Architect, Stiles O. Clements, of the prodigious firm of Morgan, Walls, and Clements, designed this notable Spanish Colonial Revival Style house for Rhonda Rindge Adamson and her husband, Merritt Huntley Adamson. The house is now a part of the Malibu Lagoon State Beach, and houses the finest collection of Malibu Potteries ceramics, as May Knight Rindge started the operation in 1926. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, level of significance: State.

This house was the second of two erected in the late 1920s by the Rindge-Adamson Family; the first huge dwelling containing 50 rooms, was designed for May Knight Rindge on "Laudamus Hill" in Malibu Canyon above the Pacific in 1928. The second on "Vaquero Hill," was the Adamson House.

California Historical Landmark: 966

National Register of Historic Places (October 28, 1977): 77000298 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 289