AKA: Senior Center, Columbus, IN; Upland Brewing Company, Upland Pump House, Columbus, IN

Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - community centers

Designers: Albright, Harrison, Architect (firm); Harrison Albright (architect)

Dates: constructed 1901-1903

1 story

view all images ( of 2 shown)

148 Lindsey Street
Columbus, IN 47201

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


This small building, designed by the archtiect Harrison Albright, (who would go on to a successful career in Southern California), served as the City Water Works Pumping House and Electric Light Station for the City of Columbus, IN, for about 48 years. It has since then been reused for a variety of purposes including a senior center and brewpub restaurant.

Building History

Prolific architect Harrison Albright (1866-1932) designed this pump house for the City of Columbus, IN, in about 1900. Construction occurred on the facility that pumped water from the Flatrock River and treated it for municipal use. The station, in 1906, had a pumping works and two dynamos that produced steam, electricity and water to the City of Columbus. It used the Pump House from 1903 until 1951. The following year, the Southern Machine Company purchased the building and used it as a machine shop until about 1972, when it sold the facility to the Columbus Redevelopment Commission. Alterations were made to it into the Senior Center Club. According to the Indiana Landmarks web site, "It changed hands and use several times before it was adapted as the city’s Senior Center from 1976 until 2011." (See Indiana Landmarks, "Historic Columbus Pump House Becomes Brewpub," accessed 11/01/2017.) On 07/01/2017, the building was adaptively reused as a brew pub for the Upland Brewing Company of Bloomington, IN.. In 2017, Upland had three brewpubs in Bloomington, one in Carmel, one in Indianapolis, and this one in Columbus.

Building Notes

Albright worked in this city before moving to Los Angeles, CA in 1905.


The 1976 renovation were supervised by architect James K. Paris, collaborating with the Taylor Brothers Construction Company.

The Indiana Landmarks web site stated of its alteration into a brew pub in 2016-2017: "The year-long rehabilitation of the building included a new roof, repairs to exterior metalwork, improved landscaping, and a complete rehab of the interior. The repurposed industrial landmark is a family friendly venue, serving both Upland’s beers and a seasonal menu. To ensure long-term preservation of the Pump House, the city donated a preservation easement to Indiana Landmarks before it sold the building." (See Indiana Landmarks, "Historic Columbus Pump House Becomes Brewpub," accessed 11/01/2017.)

PCAD id: 2689