Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Barker and Ott, Architects (firm); Petley, W.W., Building Contractor (firm); Waller, Laurence J., Structural Engineer (firm); Merl Lee Barker (architect); G. Lawrence Ott (architect); W. W. Petley (building contractor); Laurence J. Waller (structural engineer)

Dates: constructed 1934-1935, demolished 1982

2 stories, total floor area: 13,920 sq. ft.

7011 South Hoover Street
Los Angeles, CA 90044-5227

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Built just following the Long Beach Earthquake of 1933, the Mount Carmel High School had to adhere to tough new seismic standards; a 34-room building, it contained a rigid reinforced concrete structure. Mount Carmel opened to boys-only students on 01/06/1935 and closed due to dwindling enrollment on 05/26/1976. Historic preservationists campaigned to make the school an Historic Cultural Monument in 1979, in order to forestall its demolition by its new owners, the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. Although it was landmarked, the school was allowed to fall into disrepair in the early 1980s and was demolished c. 1982. The school's gym was maintained as a community resource before it burned in 1983.

Designed for the Missionary Society of Our Lady of Mount Carmel of the Carmelite Order of New York; the building cost $100,000 in 1934; (Construction costs given varied between $85,000 and $100,000.) Laurence J. Waller was the structural engineer; W.W. Petley was the general contractor; F.D. Reed Company completed the plumbing. Rev. John J. Cantwell Bishop of the Los Angeles, CA, and San Diego, CA, Catholic Diocese laid the high school's cornerstone and dedicated it in 1935. At this time, Cantwell had the responsibility for four high schools in Los Angeles: Loyola, Saint Agnes, Cathedral and Mount Carmel.

Los Angeles architect George Adams designed the school's gymnasium, consisting of a basketball court and stands, and construction began in late 08/1939. The gym also included a swimming pool and cafeteria, all costing approximately $45,000.

Los Angeles City Historical-Cultural Monument (1979-06-06): 214

PCAD id: 2609