AKA: Robinsons-May Department Store, Beverly Hills, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - department stores

Designers: Loewy, Raymond, and Associates (firm); Matcham, Charles Ormrod, Sr., and Associates (firm); Pereira and Luckman, Architects, Engineers and Planners (firm); Raymond Loewy (industrial designer); Charles Irving Luckman Sr. (architect); Charles Ormrod Matcham Sr. (architect); William Leonard Pereira (architect)

Dates: constructed 1950-1952, demolished 2014

total floor area: 236,000 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 1 shown)

9900 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-3116

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


This landmark Modern department store, opened in 05/1952, occupied a highly visible and valuble piece of property located on the western entry into Beverly Hills. The designers lavished money on exotic interior surfaces fostering an unusually luxurious shopping experience.

Builidng History

Los Angeles architect Charles O. Matcham, Sr., (1903-1980) worked in association with Pereira and Luckman; the interiors were done by the Raymond Loewy Corporation. Charles Luckman developed a specialty designing large-scale retail projects. This store opened in 05/1952.

The Los Angeles Times.com reported at the time of demolition in 2014: "Although it sits on one of the most desirable pieces of real estate in the country, the building has been unoccupied for nearly a decade. Its demolition has loomed since the property went back on the market this spring. It has yet to be sold.The city of Beverly Hills issued a demolition permit to BH Wilshire International on June 26, a city spokeswoman said. The developer agreed to demolish the store during the summer when a nearby school was out of session. The work must be completed before school resumes. The property has gone through multiple owners in recent years." (See Matt Stevens, Los Angeles Times.com, "Demolition of famed Beverly Hills department store begins," published 07/23/2014, accessed 11/06/2014.)

Building Notes

The Robinson's Department Store in Beverly Hill featured an 1,100-space parking lot.


The Robinson's Department Store in Beverly Hills was razed beginning in 07/2014. Historian of Modern Los Angeles Chris Nichols wrote of the demolition: "The store, which period reports describe as being covered in 'Travertine marble from Peru, St. Victor’s rose marble from Portugal, black Andes granite from Brazil, and Rosewood from Madagascar' is currently being ground into a fine powder as plans for a high-rise condo building continue to marinate." (See Chris Nichols, LA Magazine.com, "A Look Back at Robinson’s as the Glamorous Beverly Hills Store is Demolished," published 07/23/2014, accessed 11/05/2019.)

PCAD id: 2528