AKA: Weeghman Field, Chicago, IL

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - stadiums

Designers: Davis, Zachary Taylor (firm)

Dates: [unspecified]

Wrigley Field was originally known as Weeghman Field for the owner of the Chicago Federal League baseball franchise, Charles Weeghman; it opened 4/23/1914; Zachary Taylor Davis is credited as the original architect for Weeghman Park; it cost $250,000 to build; the Chicago team was known as the Whales between 4/23/1914 until 10/3/1915, when the league went bankrupt; William Wrigley, Jr., purchased the club in 1920 and renamed the team,'the Cubs;" the stadium was renamed to "Wrigley Field" in 1926 after the Los Angeles Wrigley Field was named in 1925;

Major renovations occurred to the stadium in 1922-1923, 1926, 1937, 1982 (when a electronic message board was added), and momentously in 1988 (when lights were first added for night baseball).

PCAD id: 2525