AKA: Fife Block, Downtown, Tacoma, WA; Hotel Fife, Downtown, Tacoma, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Dougan and Bringham, Building Contractors (firm); Farrell and Darmer, Architects (firm); Thomas A. Bringham (building contractor); Carl August Darmer (architect); James M. Dougan (building contractor); William Farrell (architect)

Dates: constructed 1887-1888, demolished 1925

5 stories

742 Pacific Avenue
Downtown, Tacoma, WA 98402

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Fife Hotel stood at 742-750 Pacific Avenue in Tacoma. It was located on the northwest corner of Pacific Avenue and 9th Street.

Building History

William H. Fife (born c. 1834 in Canada-d. 01/16/1905 in Alameda, CA), a postmaster in Tacoma, WA during the 1870s and 1880s, managed the Hotel Fife in 1893. (See Tacoma, Washington, City Directory, 1893, p. 425.)

Building Notes

Isaac Chilberg owned Chilberg's Restaurant within the Fife Hotel in 1892. (See R.L. Polk and Company's Tacoma, Washington, City Directory, 1892, p. 216.)

PCAD id: 24073