Structure Type: built works - public buildings - assembly halls

Designers: Moonan, William and Company, Building Contractors (firm); Robertson and Blackwell, Architects (firm); James Eustace Blackwell (architect); William Moonan (building contractor); Robert L. Robertson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1903-1904

2 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

1523 7th Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Eagles Aerie #1 Hall #1 stood on the southwestern corner of 7th Avenue and Pine Street.

Building History

The Fraternal Order of Eagles organized in 02.1898. In 1899, the group met at 1:30 on Sundays in the Eagles Hall on the 6th floor of the Seattle National Bank Building. This bank was located on the southeast corner of Yesler Way and Occidental Avenue. John W. Considine, the theatre owner, served as the Eagles' firat president, along with F. Lincoln, secretary and F.O. Grant, treasurer. (See R.L. Polk and Company's Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1899, p. 88.) The Eagles had shifted meetings to Room #628 of the Pacific Block in 1900 and 1901. (See R.L. Polk and Company's Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1900, p. 370 and R.L. Polk and Company's Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1901, p. 429.) By 1902, the group had shifted its assemblies to the first floor of the Masonic Temple. (SeeR.L. Polk and Company'sSeattle, Washington, City Directory, 1902, p. 461.) They relocated again to another meeting spot at 420 Pike Street in 1903. (SeeR.L. Polk and Company'sSeattle, Washington, City Directory, 1903, p. 461.)

Plans for a permanent assembly space for the Eagles' Aerie #1 began in 1903 with plans being released to the Seattle Post-Intelligenceron 09/30/1903. This article included an illustration of a hall larger than the one actually built, designed by the Seattle architectural firm of Robertson and Blackwell. The article stated of this preliminary plan for the Eagles' Hall:“The new hall of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, to be constructed within the next four months at the corner of Seventh avenue and Pine Street, will be the largest fraternal hall in Seattle. A building permit for its erection was issued yesterday. The cost will be $30,000, with an additional $12,000 which was paid for the site. On the ground floor will be space for six stores. The auditorium in the second story will seat 800 members, while there will be room for several more in the aisles. Plans for the hall have been in progress for some months, but they have been retarded by the grading of Pine street, which necessitated changing the side front of the building and giving more space for stores. The material will be of brick and the dimensions are 70 by 120 feet, Six chimneys and several fireplaces are provided for. The architects are Robertson & Blackwell. The contractors, William Moonan & Co., guarantee to have the structure finished in 120 days. It will be occupied by the order of Eagles and by retail firms immediately upon completion.” (See "New Home for Seattle Eagles," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 09/30/1903, p. 6.)

The new hall was dedicated on 05/15/1904, with 3,000 Eagles members marching in a parade to the dedication ceremony. The Post-Intelligencer said of the occasion: "At the hall the usual ritual customary to dedicatory ceremonies will be observed, and with officials of the order from all portions of the state present the occasion will be a notable one. Seattle aerie No. 1, which has built the hall and which is the mother aerie of the order, is conducting the ceremonies. The observance will not, in any degree, be simply a local one. There are 700 aeries of the order in every part of the United States and Canada and all of these will meet today in their respective halls and hold services befitting the dedication by the first aerie in the country of one of the finest fraternal hall in almost any city." (See "Eagles Will Own This City Today," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 05/15/1904, p. 10.)

Building Notes

Pinback buttons bearing the likeness of the Seattle Aerie #1's new hall were produced for its dedication on 05/15/1904.


The Roosevelt Hotel was erected on the southwestern corner of Pine Street and 7th Avenue in 1928-1929.

PCAD id: 23943