Structure Type: built works - religious structures - cemeteries

Designers: Green, Aaron G., FAIA, and Associates, Architects (firm); Morgan, Julia H., Architect (firm); Aaron Gus Green (architect); Julia H. Morgan (architect)

Dates: constructed 1909

view all images ( of 2 shown)

4499 Piedmont Avenue
Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, CA 94611

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


This Romanesque columbarium and crematory was located near the gates of the Mountain View Cemetery, long a favored resting place for the Bay Area's elite.


Julie Morgan (1872-1957), the noted architect, created a renovation plan for the facility in 1928; her involvement with the chapel went on at least through 1939. According to the Oakland "Chapel of the Chimes began as a crematory as well as a columbarium building in 1909. One of its innovative features was the use of the first electric crematorium in the world. In 1928 the original building was enlarged and renovated based on the architectural plans of famed Oakland architect Julia Morgan. Her work is easier to see on the inside of the building, and includes such features as retractable skylights, and a staircase that had been designed for Hearst Castle. Much of the intricate concrete and metal work that was added during the renovation by Julia Morgan was created on-site. Some of it was done by craftsman Henry Gregorie who Morgan hired away from the work at the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island." (See Oakland, "Chapel of the Chimes," accessed 08/30/2018.)

Wrightian architect Aaron Green (1917-2001) designed six added units to the columbarium in 1959.

Oakland Historic Landmark: 97-193

PCAD id: 22302