Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Gill, Irving J., Architect (firm); Irving John Gill (architect); Louis J. Gill (architect)

Dates: constructed 1911-1912

2 stories

7607 La Jolla Boulevard
La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


This was one of the two earliest buildings on the The Bishop's School for Girls Campus in La Jolla, CA, a design by the notable San Diego architect Irving J. Gill. The other early building on the campus was Scripps Hall (1910-1911). Gill's highly simplified formal vocabulary embodied the school's motto of "Simplicity, Sincerity, Serenity.”

Building History

The first Episcopal Bishop of Los Angeles, Joseph Horsfall Johnson (1847-1928) chartered this school for girls in La Jolla in 1909. Johnson obtained money from the philanthropically minded Scripps Family, specifically Ellen Browning Scripps (1836-1932) and her half-sister, Eliza Virginia Scripps (1852-1921).

San Diego Historical Landmark: 324

PCAD id: 21645