Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Heller Manus Architects (firm); Miller and Pflueger, Architects (firm); Jeffrey M. Heller (architect); Clark Manus (architect); James Rupert Miller (architect); Timothy Ludwig Pflueger (architect)

Dates: constructed 1922-1923

350 Bush Street
Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The Swig Company and partners Shorenstein Properties LLC and Weiler-Arnow Investment Company purchased the Mining Exchange building in the 1960s. In 1979, The Swig Company and its partners began assembling the six land parcels around the Mining Exchange for the 350 Bush development. The partners obtained entitlements in the early 2000s. In 2007 Lincoln Property Company acquired the property from the Swig/Shorenstein and Weiler-Arnow group for $60 million. The intention was to break ground that spring, at this writing, that has not happened.

Building History

This was the second building used by the San Francisco Mining Exchange. The group used the space to trade mining securities for only five years, before it left the facility for other quarters in 1928. Three entities occupied the Neo-classical temple subsequently including the San Francisco Curb Exchange (1928 until 1938), the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce (1928 until 1967), and the Western Title Insurance Company (1967-1979). The Mining Exchange discontinued operations in 1967.

Since the 1960s, prominent San Francisco real estate developers have had an interest in building on the property. During the '60s, the Swig Company collaborated with Shorenstein Properties and Weiler-Arrow Investment Company to buy the Mining Exchange. During the following decade, the group began buying up surrounding parcels in preparation to build an office tower. Just before the stock market crash of 2008, the consortium sold this holding to the Lincoln Property Company for $60 million. The 2008 Recession ended immediate plans for the tower's construction.

In 2014, China-based Gemdale Corporation announced plans to team up with the Dallas-based Lincoln Property Company to erect a glass-sheathed, 19-story skyscraper above the Mining Exchange called "Exchange Place." This new addition would contain approximately 360,000-372,000 square feet of space. Heller Manuswas the architect commissioned to build this new tower.

Building Notes

Uruguayan-born artist Joseph Jacinto Mora (1876–1947) created the Mining Exchange Building's pediment sculpture.

San Francisco Historic Landmark: 113

PCAD id: 20930