Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bennett, Alfred A., Architect (firm); Alfred A. Bennett (architect)

Dates: constructed 1879, demolished 1958

3 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University of California, Berkeley (UCB), Campus, Berkeley, CA 94720

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Mining and agriculture were the two most important parts of California's economy during the 1870s, and this building was erected to provide the state with professionally-trained mining engineers who could assist the state's various mineral-extraction industries. It functioned as the home of the Mining Engineering Department until 1907, when the Hearst Memorial Mining Building opened. It then became the Civil Engineering Building, serving the CE Department from 1907 until 1931. CE moved into George W. Kelhams's new Engineering Materials Building in 1931. Finally, it functioned as the Anthropological Museum between 1931 and 1959. It was demolished c. 1958 to make way for Campbell Hall, designed by Warnecke & Warnecke and completed in 1959.

PCAD id: 20625