Structure Type: built works - public buildings - fire stations

Designers: Dodd, Harvey, and Associates, Engineers (firm); Notkin, James B., and Associates, Mechanical Engineers (firm); Travis, Beverly A., and Associates, Electrical Engineer (firm); Waldron and Pomeroy, Architects / AIA (firm); Harvey Dodd (engineer); James B. Notkin (mechanical engineer); Gerald Charles Pomeroy (architect); Beverly A. Travis (electrical engineer); Lawrence Galen Waldron (architect)

Dates: constructed 1969-1970

2 stories, total floor area: 23,000 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 2 shown)

1300 East Pine Street
Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA 98122

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

This 23,000-square-foot station replaced a Somervell and Coté-designed facility built in 1908-1909. Construction started in 1969 on this Modernist design and was done in 1970. A web site produced by the Seattle Fire Department stated: "Station 25 is the lead station for Battalion II, which serves the central part of the city. As a battalion station it houses an engine company (E25), a ladder unit (L10), an aid unit (A25) and a battalion chief unit. It also houses several reserve units, including a reserve ladder unit and battalion chief unit. Finally, Station 25 houses the department's Mobile Ventilation Unit, which is utilized to support large-scale decontamination/ventilation efforts." (See Seattle Fire Department, "Station 25 Capitol Hill: About the Station," accessed 08/15/2016.)

Building History

Designed by the Seattle firm of Waldron and Pomeroy, the Station #25 was the largest erected by the Seattle Fire Department since it erected a new headquarters in 1927-1928. Waldron/Pomeroy Architects collaborated with the following engineering firms: Benjamin S. Notkin and Associates, Mechanical Engineers, Beverly A. Travis and Associates, Electrical Engineers; and Harvey Dodd and Associates, Structural Engineers. Waldron/Pomeroy designed a reinforced concrete building, its exterior sandblasted and colored to resemble sandstone. The Seattle Times wrote of the building in 1968: "Materials were selected on the basis of permanency, economy and ease of maintenance." (See "Fire Station Successor Due in '69," Seattle Times, 12/08/1968, p. 11.)

In 1968, the station was expected cost more than $500,000 with funds coming from the Forward Thrust bond issue of 1968.

Alteration

The station had seismic upgrade work done on it in 2013-2014, and some remodeling of the interior. According to the Seattle Fire Department: "The other main work to be done at Station 25 involves a space reconfiguration so that apparatus bay support functions — including areas for decontamination, crew preparation and vehicle maintenance — can be accommodated immediately adjacent to the actual bays themselves. The existing crew area on the main floor will remain as is; some minor remodeling in the basement and on the second floor will reconfigure the living quarters and the battalion office. Finally, the plan moves Station 25's existing battalion chief unit and reserve battalion chief unit to Station 2. Despite this move, Station 25 would remain the lead station for Battalion II. The transfer is planned because Station 2 offers ample room for multiple apparatus bays and would permit Station 25 the capacity to house another medic unit if future demand warrants the service expansion." (See Seattle Fire Department, "Station 25 Capitol Hill: About the Station," accessed 08/15/2016.) In 2014, the facility contained a station office, bunker gear room, kitchen and dining room, fitness room, men and women's bunk rooms, separate toilet/shower rooms, and a laundry room.

PCAD id: 20444