Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Kump, Ernest J., Sr., Architect (firm); Ernest Joseph Kump Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1921-1922, demolished 1966

2 stories

Harvard Street and Hermosa Street
Lindsay, CA


Fresno architect Ernest Kump, Sr., (1888-1939) designed the Lindsay High School #2 to serve 300 students in a town of 2,600 inhabitants. Kump focused on school architecture and he was thought to have completed 33 during a four-yearstretch during his early years of practice. Construction began in 1921 and the first classes were held here in the fall of 1922. The school stood across the street from the Lindsay Junior High School, and shared some facilities with it. By the early 1960s, agitation began to demolish this facility and build a new one, as a new wave of Baby-Boom students was about to reach high school age. Once a new high school was completed in 04/1966, this 1922 high school was razed.

Building Notes

In 2015, a writer for the Fresno Bee, George Hostetter, described the Lindsay High School #2 complex: "Lindsay High’s two-story main building is long and looks onto Harvard Avenue. There is a wing of classrooms at the north end and another wing of classrooms at the south end. A covered hallway connects the main building to the gymnasium, located at the corner of Harvard and Hermosa. A covered hallway connects the main building to the vocational arts building at the corner of Harvard and Samoa. The front of the school features a big lawn, bisected by a wide walkway leading to double front doors. On the east side of the main building, you find outdoor basketball courts with wood backboards, the band room, the home economics classroom (a freestanding building), the lightweight football team’s practice field and tennis courts." (See George Hostetter, Fresno Bee, "Conrad Birdie, high schools and the Valley," appeared 10/13/2015, accessed 02/18/2016.) The school also had a centrally-located, 500-seat auditorium.

Read more here:


The Lindsay High School #2 was demolished in 1966.

PCAD id: 20025