AKA: Hotel Russell, Tenderloin, San Francisco, CA; Penn, William, Hotel, Tenderloin, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Pissis, Albert, Architect (firm); Albert Pissis (architect)

Dates: constructed 1907

156 Eddy Street
Tenderloin, San Francisco, CA 94102-2708

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The distinguished San Francisco architect Albert Pissis (1852-1914) designed the Hotel Cecil. Pissis was one of the first architects in the city to receive academic training at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, France; he studied at the Ecole between 1872-1876, and also was one of the first of San Francisco's architects who would make an architectural pilgrimage to Rome. Pissis had a booming practice by the 1890s and again after the 1906 Earthquake.

Building Notes

This 109-room, 54-bath hotel also operated under various names: the Hotel Cecil (c. 1907), Hotel Russell (c. 1911), Hotel Kern (c. 1923), and William Perm Hotel (c. 1923-1984). The hotel was part of the Uptown Tenderloin Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. It was one of 408 contributing buildings to this large historic district.

National Register of Historic Places (February 5, 2009): 08001407 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 18238