AKA: 1003-1009 Water Street Commercial Building, Port Townsend, WA; Olympic Hardware Company, Office Building and Store, Port Townsend, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - commercial buildings - restaurants; built works - commercial buildings - stores; built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels; built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Whiteway and Schroeder, Architects (firm); Julius C. Schroeder (architect); William Tuff Whiteway (architect)

Dates: constructed 1873

3 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1009 Water Street
Downtown, Port Townsend, WA 98368-6705

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The commercial building at 1003-1009 Water Street in Port Townsend, WA, originally functioned as Charles Eisenbeis's one-story dry goods store, measuring 20 by 70 feet. Built of coursed, rusticated stone, this original section was erected by 1873. Eisenbeis (1832-1902), born in Prussia, appeared in Port Townsend by 1858, when he started a bakery. His economic holdings in the city greatly expanded during the course of the nineteenth century, enough so to make him the town's leading citizen. Eisenbeis built several commercial buildings around town--including downtown's Mount Baker Block of 1890--to house his businesses and to serve as rental properties. On the stout masonry base of the 1873 Eisenbeis store, two upper stories of brick were raised by 1889. The Port Townsend architectural firm of Whiteway and Schroeder, supervised the addition, and also designed the Mount Baker Building. The Eisenbeis Building has served many uses during its long existence, as a hotel (c. 1903), restaurant, saloon, theater and hardware store; the Olympic Hardware Company used the space from 1916 until the late 1900s. Upper floors were transformed into condominiums c. 2000.

The Charles Eisenbeis Building has been made a contributing part of the Port Townsend Historic District, a group of buildings listed on the National Regisiter of Historic Places.

Bay windows, erected c. 1889, were removed from the two upper floors c. 1956. They were restored when the spaces became condominiums. Original cornice details were also removed from the facade, and had not been restored c. 2011.

National Register of Historic Places (May 17, 1976): 76001883 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 18227