AKA: Mason-McDuffie Company, Saint Francis Wood, Sub-Division, San Francisco, CA; St. Francis Wood, Residential Suburb , San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - settlements - suburbs

Designers: Gutterson, Henry H., Architect (firm); Howard, John Galen, Architect (firm); Olmsted Brothers, Landscape Architects (firm); James Frederick Dawson (landscape architect); Henry Higby Gutterson (architect); John Galen Howard (architect); Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. (landscape architect); John Charles Olmsted (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1912-1913

Saint Francis Wood, San Francisco, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Duncan McDuffie (1877-1951), Partner in the Mason-McDuffie Company, a real estate firm, commissioned the eminent architect John Galen Howard (1864-1931) and the nationally-known landscape architecture firm of the Olmsted Brothers to lay out his new sub-division on the west side of Mount Davidson in 1912. James Frederick Dawson (1874-1941), an Associate Partner in the Olmsted office, served as the firm's lead designer. Anticipating the creation of the Twin Peaks Trolley Car Tunnel, Duncan-McDuffie was the first real estate development firm to start work on residential properties that could be now connected easily with Downtown San Francisco. Following Howard, the architect Henry H. Gutterson (1884-1954) took over as Supervising Architect, serving in this capacity for 20 years.

PCAD id: 18091