Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - factories; built works _ industrial buildings - processing plant

Designers: Fernand Frederic Amandes (architect)

Dates: constructed 1906

6 stories, total floor area: 11,994 sq. ft.

Tumwater, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Leopold Friedrich Ludwig Schmidt (1846-1914), President of the Olympia Brewing Company, erected this new six-story brewhouse in 1906. Composed of red brick, it featured Romanesque arched openings on its upper floors and tower. Windows were trimmed with locally-quarried Tenino sandstone. A pyramidal hipped roof capped the tower. The brewhouse was one of a five buildings in the brewery complex which survived in 2012, including a North Storage Building, Original Warehouse, East Warehouse and the Keg House. All five buildings were grouped around a driveway also referred to as "the Plaza."

Alterations to stabilize the building's condition were made c. 2010-2011 by a preservation-minded ownership group, Old Brewhouse, LLC, owned by Centralia, WA, developer, George Heidgerken. Heidgerken purchased the defunct facility consisting of five buildings and two parking lots on 32 acres for $1.4 million in 08/2010. Jim Brown served as Heidgerken's architect during the early stages of the renovation project. The City of Tumwater appropriated $90,000 to prepare a master “visioning” plan for the site to be prepared by Tom Fitzsimmons, principal and chief operating officer of Lorig Associates of Seattle, WA.

PCAD id: 17874