AKA: Holy Family Catholic Church, South Pasadena, CA

Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: Martin, Emmet G., Architect (firm); Pettifer, Charles W., Company, Building Contractors (firm); Emmet G. Martin (architect)

Dates: constructed 1927-1928

1501 Fremont
South Pasadena, CA 91030-3824

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

In 1923, the Holy Family Parish purchased land at the corner of Fremont Avenue and Rollin Street in South Pasadena. The Holy Family Church #2 was moved to this new site from its previous Fremont Avenue and El Centro Avenue location, and used here from c. 1923-1928. Fund-raising to build a large and modern Spanish Colonial Revival Style church began in 1926, with construction commencing a year later. Architect Emmett G. Martin (1889-1937) drew up the plans for the Holy Family Church #3, and supervised the construction efforts of the Charles W. Pettifer Company. Bishop Joseph J. Cantwell (1874–1947) provided the blessing of the new church's cross, altar and cornerstone on 01/08/1928, with his formal dedication of the whole church occurring on 04/22/1928.

(626) 799-8908 (2004)

According to the Holy Parish History web site, alterations to the main church happened in 1950: "In 1950 when the church building was about a quarter century old, several additions were made. The two mahogany side altars, built by C. M. Gilbride, were added. The one on the right is dedicated to St. Joseph and the other to Mary. The magnificent murals, one of the death of Joseph and the other depicting the Assumption, were painted by a father-daughter team, Hector and Judith Serbaroli, in 1951." (See "History of Holy Family,"Accessed 01/21/2014.) Between 1962 and 1964, the Paris-based Michael H. Jaubert Studio produced stained glass windows depicting selected saints for the church's nave.

PCAD id: 1741