AKA: Kern High School District (KHSD), Bakersfield High School, Building #1, Bakersfield, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Biggar, Charles Howatt, Architect (firm); Charles Howatt Biggar (architect)

Dates: constructed 1914-1915, demolished 1952

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1241 G Street
Bakersfield, CA 93301

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The original building on campus fronted on F Street. Later buildings sprawled on a larger site, by 2011, fronting on G Street.

This was the second, large, public high school serving Bakersfield, CA. The first was known as "Kern County High School," in use from 1893-1915. In 1915, the high school district became its own separate organization, distinct from the Bakersfield City School District that served K-8 students. In 2011, it operated as part of the Kern High School District, with 35,000 students, the most populous 9-12 high school district in CA. The history of the campus has been complex, with quite a few buildings added, torn down or renovated over time. The original 1915 building on campus fronted on F Street at Campus Way.

The original high school building had two stories and a symmetrical Beaux-Arts Classical exterior. Pilasters separated the facade into three parts. A slightly recessed central bay was balanced by two very slightly protruding end bays. Paired Tuscan columns supported a projecting portico sheltering the main entrance. The school sat on high foundations with exterior walls of masonry (either cut stone or scored concrete). Brick faced the upper two stories. To admit a maximum amount of light and air (considered essential for the good health of children) into classrooms, double-hung windows were arranged in bands of five. Tel: 661.324.9841 (2011).

Demolished. The main original wing of the Kern County Union High School was torn down due to structural damage sustained in the massive 1952 Tehachapi Earthquake. Its place was taken by the Cafeteria Building completed in 1960 at the corner of F Street and Campus Way.

PCAD id: 17097