AKA: First Norwegian Lutheran Church of Seattle, Seattle, WA; Denny Park Lutheran Church, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1939-1939

766 John Street
Seattle, WA 98109-5112

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

This congregation has had a long and complicated history, utilizing several churches, some temporary meeting spaces and multiple names. Sixteen local Scandinavian residents formed the "Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church," congregation on 04/18/1888. Earliest services were held in another church, the Swedish Lutheran Church at 3rd Avenue between Pike Street and Pine Street for several months until their own church could be dedicated. The new group purchased land at 4th Avenue and Pine Street for $2,000, and erected their first church in 1889-1890. The congregation stayed here from 1890-1904, when they received a generous offer ($19,000) for their land. They sold out, and bought a less expensive parcel at 5th Avenue and Wall Street for $6,250, and spent an additional $12,000 to build its second church and a parsonage here. This second location was used for only five years, when in 1909, the City of Seattle condemned it to regrade the land. Forced to uproot itself again, the flock met in a rented facility at the intersection of John Street and Yale Street, from about 1909-1912. Another "permanent" location was found at Boren Avenue and Virginia Street for $15,000, and a third temporary church was completed. This location operated until 1938, when a 60 x 120-foot property was bought at 8th Avenue and John Street, across from Denny Park, Seattle's oldest city park. Planning for a new facility took extra time, when it was decided that the original plot was not large enough. While the planning occurred, the group used the Harmony Hall at 8th Avenue and Union Street for 17 months between 1938-1939. An additional gift of an adjoining lot in 1939 enabled room for growth. A cornerstone was placed on 08/20/1939, with construction concluded by 12/17/1939. A formal dedication occurred on 04/21/1940. Due to realignments and mergers within the Lutheran Church in the US, this congregation's name changed in 1919 to the "First Norwegian Lutheran Church of Seattle," a title which stuck until 1945. The church's name was changed from the "First Norwegian Lutheran Church of Seattle" to the current name "Denny Park Lutheran Church" at the end of World War II.

Tel: 206.623.7447 (2011);

The Denny Park congregation acquired three additional land parcels in 1946 at Dexter Avenue and John Street . On this new property, they added the Sunday School Annex in 1949 and a Youth-Education Building in 1957. In 1961, a large-scale renovation occurred to the church sanctuary, with new pews and flooring installed, and a new administrative office and radio broadcasting room were created.

PCAD id: 16957