AKA: Stanford Quad, Stanford, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge, Architects (firm); Charles Allerton Coolidge Sr. (architect); Charles Hercules Rutan (architect); George Foster Shepley Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1886-1891

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Stanford, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Stanford University's Main Quadrangle was one of the earliest projects for the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge; Henry Hobson Richardson (born 09/29/1838), the great Boston architect, had obtained the commission for Stanford originally, but he died in Brookline, MA, on 04/27/1886 before work had proceeded; it then went to his successor firm, led by employees George Foster Shepley, Sr., (1861-1903), Charles Hercules Rutan (1851-1914), and Charles Allerton Coolidge, Sr., (1858-1936); Coolidge was the lead designer on the Stanford commission, and spent extended periods in Palo Alto during the 1880s.

Numerous alterations have occurred to the Quad over the years; serious seismic rehabilitation work followed the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, which lasted approximately ten years; due to the 1989 quake, the Geology Corner of the Quad was demolished and painstakingly rebuilt.

PCAD id: 1683