Structure Type: built works - public buildings - courthouses

Designers: Harmon, Pray and Detrich, Architects and Engineers (firm); Heery International, Incorporated (firm); Hoffman Construction Company (firm); Olsen and Ratti, Structural Engineers (firm); Sellen Construction Company, Incorporated (firm); Robert Carl Detrich (architect); Craig A. Harmon (architect); George Heery (architect); Nels Vernon Nelson (building contractor/carpenter); Roland Gilbert Pray Sr. (architect); Dean Ratti (structural engineer); John Henry Sellen Sr. (building contractor/civil engineer)

Dates: constructed 1965-1967

5 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

3000 Rockefeller Avenue
Downtown, Everett, WA 98201

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

In 2022, Snohomish County offices occupied a three-block site bounded by Wetmore Avenue on the west, Wall Street on the north, Lombard Avenue on the east, and Pacific Avenue on the south. The adjoining Snohomish County Courthouse #3 and the Snohomish County Courthouse #2, stood on the westernmost third of this governmental complex, the two administrative buildings in the center, and the two corrections buildings on the east.

Building Notes

The Seattle architectural firm of Harmon, Pray and Detrich, Architects and Engineers, won the commission for this addition to the Snohomish County Courthouse. Harmon, Pray and Detrich obtained a number of governmental commissions, including those for the State of Washington, Department of General Administration, Archives and Records Center (Olympia, WA, 1964) and the King County Administration Building #2 (Seattle, WA, 1971). It worked with the structural engineering firm of Olsen and Ratti and the John H. Sellen Construction Company, general contractors. Nels Nelson (1905-1988) was the construction superintendent for John H. Sellen.

In form, the building's tall narrow bays and windows and the "crenellations" at its parapet resembled those of the earlier Sieg Hall at the University of Washington (1959-1960) also by Harmon Pray and Detrich.

Alteration

Snohomish County officials authorized the construction of an addition to the northeast side of the 1967 building in 2018-2020. The architect for the addition was Heery International of Atlanta, GA, while the general contractor was the Portland, OR-based Hoffman Construction Company.

PCAD id: 15459