AKA: Seattle Pacific University (SPU), Administration Building, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA; Seattle Pacific University (SPU), Peterson Hall, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Jewett and Breitung, Architects (firm); Conradin Alfred Breitung (architect); William Henry Jewett (architect)

Dates: constructed 1904-1905

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

3307 3rd Avenue West
Queen Anne, Seattle, WA 98119

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map


Free Methodist officials of the Seattle Seminary, the first name for Seattle Pacific University, commissioned Seattle architects Jewett and Breitung to design the second building on campus, a multipurpose structure that contained administrative offices, classrooms, and the library. A red-brick, Romanesque design, it was dedicated in 12/1905.

Building History

William H. Jewett (1861-1905) is credited with the design of this four-story, hipped roof structure, similar in character to Denny Hall on the University of Washington Campus. It has a more economical, less overtly revivalistic exterior than Denny Hall, but retains the towers, hipped roof, and inset arched entryway.

Between 1901 and 1904, Jewell and Conrad A. Breitung (1868-1925) practiced in the same spaces, likely as a firm, although their listings in the business classified section were always separate. Jewett passed away from pneumonia in 1905, the year that Breitung became a partner with Theobald Buchinger.

The City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods database said of Peterson Hall: "The older buildings, and important newer structures, form an ensemble that illustrates the school's history; they are arranged around a grass-covered central square with numerous large trees. Peterson Hall was the school’s second building, constructed when the school outgrew the original Red Brick Building. Known as the Administration Building, it was the center of campus life for more than sixty years, until Demeray Hall was built in 1967. It housed the business office, the library and the chapel, as well as classrooms and offices. The building was designed by local architect William H. Jewett, while he was a partner of C. Alfred Breitung (1901-05). Jewett died shortly before the building was dedicated December 12, 1905." (See City of Seattle, Department of Neighborhoods.gov, "Seattle Historical Sites Summary for 3307B 3rd Avenue, Parcel ID 890000-055," accessed 08/15/2023.)