AKA: Wright, Annie, Schools, Tacoma, WA

Structure Type: built works - religious communities

Designers: Bonnell Construction Company (firm); Sutton, Whitney and Dugan, Architects (firm); J. E. Bonnell (building contractor); Earl Nathaniel Dugan (architect); Albert Sutton (architect); Harrison Allen Whitney (architect)

Dates: constructed 1923-1924

827 Tacoma Avenue North
Tacoma, WA 98403

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Construction on this 3-story, H-shaped Tudor Revival complex began on 06/04/1923 and had begun to be occupied by 07/31/1924, replacing a Boone and Meeker-designed facility built 40 years earlier. The seminary, whose construction cost was estimated in 1923 at $600,000, consisted of one large red-brick building housing various functions: chapel, gym, swimming pool, administration offices, and classrooms and Principal's Cottage. The gym doubled as a theatre. The second and third floors housed dormitories and an infirmary.

In 1927, the Annie Wright Seminary served 75 resident and 125 day female students, separated into elementary and high school components. The large building was set on 10 acres of land in a residential section of Tacoma, WA.


Administrators of the school added a swimming pool to the complex in 1927. Sutton, Whitney and Dugan designed the pool, erecting it with the J.E. Bonnell and Son Construction Company.

Construction on the Charles Wright School for Boys began in 1949 and concluded in 1950.

Classrooms, music room and library were added in 1957-1959.

Roofs were replaced at the Wright School in 1997.

Klarsch Hall was erected in 2003-2004. MBA Architects and Absher Construction Company completed this project,

PCAD id: 14183