Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - commercial buildings - stores

Designers: Boone and Corner, Architects (firm); William Ely Boone (architect); James Milbourne Corner (architect)

Dates: constructed 1902-1903

4 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

1300 2nd Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Walker Building stood on the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and University Street at 1300-1310 2nd Avenue.

Overview

Maine-born lumberman Cyrus Walker became the Superintendent of the Puget Mill's Port Gamble operation in 1862, and directed operations there until 1888. He became a valued employee and gradually a partner in the Port Gamble mills operated by San Franciscans Andrew Jackson Pope and W.C. Talbot. Walker enjoyed a sterling reputation for fairness and honesty among workers. He also became quite wealthy, enabling him to erect this four-story office and commercial building in Downtown Seattle. WA.

Building History

Cyrus Walker (1827-1913), an executive with the Puget Mill Company of Port Gamble, WA, and Port Ludlow, WA, built this commercial investment property in 1903. This section of 2nd Avenue between University and Seneca Streets was owned by Amos Brown, who also made substantial money in the lumber business. Nearby to the Cyrus Walker Building was the Lumber Exchange Building.

In 1903, the newspaper the Seattle Mail and Herald described the new Walker Building: "In size it is 108x120 feet, four stories high, containing ninety-three offices and four stores. The exterior of the building is dressed in Chuckanut stone. The interior is finished in native fir; the corridors are of maple and the walls of the corridors are sand-plastered. Throughout, the building contains all the latest improvements, including a good elevator service. The rooms are well lighted. The store rooms are light and conveniently arranged. The plans of the building were furnished by the architects Boone & Corner. The building itself is of Italian design and was constructed at a cost of $120,000." (See "The New Walker Building," Seattle Mail and Herald, vol. VI, no. 27, 05/16/1903, p. 1.)

Building Notes

This four-story building, composed of brick and cut Chuckanut stone, was erected for the lumberman, Cyrus Walker. It stood across the street from the Arcade Building #2, a landmark known for its many retail stores. In 1945, the Puget Mill Division of Pope and Talbot, Incorporated, had its offices in the Walker Building. Puget Mill was the real estate section of the timber giant, selling lots, brokerage services and insurance. Puget Mill was an active player in the real estate scene of mid-century Seattle, WA.

The Walker building had a U-shape, with the open end facing south toward University Street. The central light court opened to illuminate offices on the second through fourth floors. Four store fronts composed the first floor frontage on 2nd Avenue, two located on either side of the a central lobby and stair hall.

Demolished in the late 1980s.