Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Schacht, Emil, Architect (firm); Emil Schacht (architect)

Dates: constructed 1907

Astoria, OR

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Public tennis courts were built in 1947 on part of the former Gearhart Hotel property.

Demolished by fire, 1915. One web site indicated: "1915, The Gearhart Hotel burned to the ground. It was replaced enabling vactioning [sic] families from Portland to continue to enjoy the coast." (See Accessed 04/10/2009) Another source indicated that this article appeared in the Dalles Chronicle: "August 15, 1944 Mr. and Mrs. George Stadelman and their two children, Sally and George, accompanied by Joan Woolsey and Lenore Taylor, returned last night after spending a week on the coast at the Gearhart hotel." (See Accessed 04/10/2009) Apparently, a "Gearhart Hotel" was in operation in 1944, but whether it existed on the same site is not known.

PCAD id: 13900