Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools

Designers: Hanson, Olof, Architect (firm); Olof E. Hanson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1892

Devil's Lake, ND

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The North Dakota State Legislature passed funding for this specialized school in 1890, putting it under the administration of the Department of Public Instruction. Originally, the school was housed in a wooden building, occupying the corner of Third Avenue and Fifth Street in Devil's Lake, ND. The Great Northern Railway donated 18 acres outside of town for the school, and work began on a larger and more elaborate brick building on 05/30/1892. It was designed by Olaf Hanson, a Swedish immigrant, himself deaf since age 10. State educators erected the central portion first, and completed side wings a few years later. From the beginning, the school operated its own farm for the production of its own food.

Done in brick, the school had a Romanesque appearance, with its round aarched openings and corner tower topped with a candle-snuffer roof.

Additional side wings were probably added c. 1894-1896.

Demolished in 1975.

PCAD id: 11941