Structure Type: built works - public buildings - fire stations

Designers: Somervell and Cote, Architects (firm); Joseph Simon Cote (architect); Woodruff Marbury Somervell (architect)

Dates: constructed 1909, demolished 1966

1064 East Howe Street
Capitol Hill, Seattle , WA 98102

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building Notes

A two story, wood frame building covered in shingles, Fire Station #22 had a residential character. Two doors admitted fire engines into the station. A hipped roof sheltered the structure. A fire lookout tower of three stories was appended to one side of the station.


Fire Station #22 had a demolition permit issued for it in 04/1966. According to a notice in the Seattle Times, "Five bids were received for the demolition of old Fire Station No. 22, 1064 E. Howe St., and refered [sic] to Fred B. McCoy, city building superintendent. The Nelson Construction Co., Kenmore, was the apparent low bidder at $1,320. The Council's decision that the building be torn down ended a controversy over whether it should be preserved for its historic and architectural interest."
("See City Affairs: Demolition," Seattle Times, 04/21/1966, p. 30.)

PCAD id: 11884