AKA: United States Army, Camp Oak, Ojai, CA; Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, Ojai, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels; built works - dwellings -public accommodations - inns; built works - recreation areas and structures - country clubs

Designers: Gluck, Peter L., and Associates, Architects (firm); Macleod Construction Company (firm); Morrish, Jay, and Associates, Ltd., Golf Course Architects (firm); Neff, Wallace, Architect (firm); Shemitz, Sylvan R., and Associates, Lighting Design (firm); Spiegel and Zamecnik, Structural Engineers (firm); Thomas, George C., Jr., Golf Course Designer (firm); Peter L. Gluck (architect); Geoffrey Koper (architect); Kenneth G. Macleod (building contractor); Jay Morrish (golf course designer); Edwin Wallace Neff Sr. (architect); Sylvan R. Shemitz (lighting designer); Spiegel (structural engineer); George C. Thomas (golf course designer); Timothy Wood (architect); Zamecnik (structural engineer)

Dates: constructed 1922-1924

905 Country Club Road
Ojai, CA 93023-3734

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The Toledo, OH, glass magnate, Edward Drummond Libbey, founded the Ojai Valley Country Club in his winter home, Ojai, CA. Wallace Neff designed the Spanish Colonial Revival Style Club House. The Ojai Valley Country Club won an Honor Award from the Southern California Chapter of the American Institute of Architects; the American Architects Directory (1962) noted that the Ojai Valley Country Club dated from 1930; Philadelphia-born, George C. Thomas, Jr., laid out the golf course. Thomas worked for most of his career in California. The Country Club transformed itself into the inn in

Tel: 805.646.1111; in 2008, the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa had 308 rooms and suites, many equipped with fireplaces. The spa portion of the inn covered 31,000 square feet. Also in 2008, restaurants at the inn included: Maravilla, Oak Grill, Jimmy's and Cafe at the Spa.

Between 1925-1930, the Ojai Valley Country Club added guest rooms to its property, also in the Spanish Colonial Revival Style. The U.S. Army and later the U.S. Navy occupied the country club during the period 1942-1947. The Army used it as a training facility, the Navy for veteran recuperation. It was returned to the Ojai Country Club in 1947, after all military buildings had been removed. Golf course designer, Jay Morrish, supervised renovations to the golf course in 1987. Peter L. Gluck completed the addition of new guestrooms in the early 1980s. Gluck designed a total of 175 new rooms to be arrayed on four terraced levels, each dug into the hillside. The work was to have been done in two phases, and was done for the Ojai Hotel Company. For this addition, Gluck worked with Spiegel and Zamecnik, Structural Engineers, Macleod Construction Company, General Contractor, and Sylvan R. Shemitz and Associates, Lighting Consultant. For Gluck and Associates, Timothy Wood and Geoffrey Koper (Job Captain), composed part of the project team.

PCAD id: 1036