AKA: Vernon Tigers Baseball Stadium, Vernon, CA

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - stadiums

Designers: Somervell and Putnam, Architects (firm); John L. Putnam (architect); Woodruff Marbury Somervell (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

Vernon, Los Angeles, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

In 1909, owner Peter Maier, a meat packer, began the Vernon Tigers of the Pacific Coast League in one of the two towns in Los Angeles County to allow alcohol, the other being Venice. Maier Park was adjacent to Doyle's Bar, self-billed as the "longest bar in the world." (Doyle's Bar also had a special entrance to Maier Park.) The Vernon Tigers played at this venue from 1909-1925, (except for two years spent in the other "wet" town of Venice, CA, 1913-1914), before relocating to San Francisco to become the Mission Reds. In their place, the Salt Lake Bees moved to Los Angeles in 1926, playing their first season's games in the old Vernon Tigers Park. Since its foundation in 1905, Vernon has been an industrial city, supporting for much of the 20th century slaughterhouses, food processors, glass and glass manufacturers, smelters and metal working factories; by 2000, this had changed; the city--the smallest incorporated place in Los Angeles County--became home to garment-manufacturing, film production, electronics and waste recycling.

After their brief hiatus in Venice during 1913-1914, the Vernon Tigers moved back to Maier Park, 07/11/1915.

Architects, Somervell and Putnam, made an addition to the grandstand and remodeled the clubhouse at a cost of $35,000 in 1926.

Demolished.

PCAD id: 9823