AKA: El Centro de la Raza, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - elementary schools

Designers: Saunders and Lawton, Architects (firm); George Willis Lawton (architect); Charles Willard Saunders (architect)

Dates: constructed 1903-1904

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

2524 16th Avenue South
Beacon Hill, Seattle, WA 98144-5104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

A group of protesters, led by Roberto Maestas, occupied the vacant Beacon Hill Elementary School on 10/11/1972 demonstrating their opposition to budget cuts for public education at the secondary and community college levels in Seattle, WA. Following this, Maestas and supporters bought the school and established El Centro de la Raza was established at Beacon Hill Elementary. The center served 12,314 people in 2006. A 35th anniversary celebration was observed on 10/13/2007 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center.

PCAD id: 9466