AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, More, Charles C., Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings; built works - research structures - laboratories

Designers: Bebb and Jones, Architects (firm); Jones and Bindon, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Leonard William Bindon (architect); John Paul Jones (architect)

Dates: constructed 1946

University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Originally known as the Civil Engineering Building, this University of Washington named this building for Professor Charles Church More (d. 1949), who worked in the Structural (later renamed Civil and Environmental) Engineering Department between 1900-1949. (A 1899 graduate of Cornell University, More was named Chair of the Civil Engineering Department in 1900.) The University named it for More on his retirement.

The door is framed by cast-aluminum artwork by the sculptor, Dudley Pratt (1897-1975); this building housing the Civil Engineering Department, originally contained offices, classrooms, a photogrammetry (the study of an object's geometric properties as derived from a photograph) room, a concrete lab, an aggregate lab with cold, hot and moist rooms, a photoelastic lab, a $20,000 electron microscope and 3 structural testing machines, one of which was capable of loading 2,400,000 pounds. Charles Bebb and John Paul Jones working with Leonard Bindon, designed More Hall. Jones would become, after World War II, the Supervising Architect for the University of Washington.

The Structural Testing Lab was erected in 1947.

PCAD id: 8757