AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Cunningham, Imogen, Hall, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Seattle, Johnson Annex B, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - exposition buildings; built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: BOLA Architecture + Planning (firm); Hastings Group, Architects (firm); Saunders and Lawton, Architects (firm); Susan D. Boyle (architect); Lois Jane Hastings (architect); Rhoda R. Lawrence (architect); George Willis Lawton (architect); Charles Willard Saunders (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

Stevens Way
University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Cunningham Hall was moved on 09/16/2009 to a new site on George Washington Lane.

Cunningham Hall is the last temporary building from the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition still standing today. It was the AYPE's Women's Building, and after serving several purposes (Bureau of Mines, Chemistry annex, Air Force ROTC, Architecture building), it became the University of Washington's Women's Center in 1975. For a number of years, it served as an annex to neighboring Johnson Hall, and was known as "Johnson Annex B." During the fair, the Women's Building became a discussion center for suffrage issues in the state. In 1983, the University named the building for the photographer, Imogen Cunningham, a 1907 UW alumna.

Efforts to demolish Cunningham Hall were averted in 1979, when the University of Washington's Architectural Landmarks Commission interceded. UW officials sought to move Cunningham Hall before 12/2009, when construction was set to begin on a new molecular engineering building on this site.

In 1975, Cunningham was renovated and is now the campus's Women's Center. The Hastings Group supervised Cunningham Hall's renovation in 1979. In 2008, a University of Washington relocation committee, chaired by Ruth Johnston, Associate Vice-President of Finance and Facilities, considered four sites for Cunningham Hall. It was to be moved in 2008 to make way for a new pair of Molecular Engineering Buildings to be built in two phases beginning in 2009. The four sites considered in 06/2008 were: lawn southwest of Parrington Hall, Denny Yard, near Winkenwerder Hall and the Burke Gilman Trail, a plot east of the Medicinal Herb Garden. The move was postponed until late summer 2009; BOLA Architecture + Planning served as a Consultant for the Cunningham Hall move. The building was moved on 09/16/2009 from its site on Stevens Way across from Architecture Hall, on Grant Place, just to the east of the Henry Art Gallery to its new site on George Washington Lane.

PCAD id: 8722